Re: "Ensoulment"

Jan de Koning (dekoning@idirect.com)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 14:25:00 -0500

At 09:46 AM 11/02/98 -0500, Moorad wrote:

>Dear Scott,
>
>A very pragmatic way of viewing a human being is as a detector of many
>signals. For instance, our five senses can detect things which can also be
>detected by material apparatus as well. For instance, our eyes and skin
>detect electromagentic radiations in different parts of the spectrum. Of
>course, the human mind can also develop and use concepts that my be
>idealizations of real existing things--witness the whole of mathematics.
>But most important, there is the human spirit that can "detect" God. The
>latter separates us from animals, which I believe cannot even conceive such
>forms of existence. It is this difference in kind between animals and man
>which makes me take a negative view of any evolutionary theory of man. To
>reconcile evolutionary theory with Scripture is to relegate God's Word to a
>secondary place vis a vis science.
>
>Moorad

Dear Moorad,

On what philosophy do you base the statement that the "whole of
mathematics" is idealization of real existing things? Do nembers not
exist? Is there no space? I don't think that I wasted many years
idealizing non-existing things.

Nobody on this list is relegating God's Word to a secondary place vis a vis
science, so, please, use a better way of describing statements. We do want
to listen to each other, though and discuss. The human spirit does not
"detect" God. Far from it. If God does not work in you, you are lost. We
must listen to God. Your reasoning places the "human spirit" which can
detect God above the Bible and above God's creation, in which we can read
God's works.

Jan de Koning
Willowdale, Ont.