Re: NABT

Steven Schimmrich (schimmrich@earthlink.net)
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 15:36:40 -0500

At 02:28 PM 2/10/98 -0800, Art Chadwick wrote:
>At 03:16 PM 2/10/98 -0500, Steven Schimmrich wrote:
>
>> Hasn't anyone done any research on this (YEC beliefs by denomination)?
>>It would be interesting to know the results.
>
>I predict the results would shock you and Burgy and a lot of others as
>well. Who do you think the 50% of the populace are that believe in YEC,
>if it is not fundamentalists?
>Art
>http://chadwicka.swau.edu

I've seen the Gallup poll (September 10, 1993) stating that:

"Which of the following statements comes closest to your views on the origin
and development of human beings: 1) Human beings have developed over millions
of years from less advanced forms of life, but God guided this process; 2)
human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of
life, but God had no part in this process; or 3) God created human beings
pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or
so?"

Developed, with God = 35%
Developed, no God = 11%
God created, in present form = 47%

Is this where you're getting your 50% figure from?

I would argue that this question only referred to human beings (i.e. it
didn't ask people what they believed about the evolution of plants, for
example) and it didn't ask anything about the overall age of the Earth, the
flood, etc.

- Steve.

--   Steven H. Schimmrich              Assistant Professor of Geology

Physical Sciences Department schimmri@kutztown.edu (office) Kutztown University schimmrich@earthlink.net (home) 217 Grim Science Building 610-683-4437, 610-683-1352 (fax) Kutztown, Pennsylvania 19530 http://home.earthlink.net/~schimmrich/