Re: Article re Behe

Steven Schafersman (schafesd@muohio.edu)
Fri, 30 Jan 98 16:56:51 -0500

sschaff@SLAC.Stanford.EDU on 1/30/98 1:08 PM wrote:

>I presume this is the same Frederick Jueneman who proposed (implausibly)
>that nuclear decay is caused by interactions with "sea" neutrinos. I
>think he also suggested that a nearby supernova could have scrambled
>all of our radio-dating clocks, but I'm not sure, since I've never seen
>the original article (the citation I have is "Industrial Research,
>Sept. 1972" -- not a journal I have ready access to).

Jueneman wrote many columns in the 1980s supporting the catastrophist
claims of Immanuel Velikovsky and authenticity claims of the Shroud of
Turin by STURP (the Shroud of Turin Research Project). He enjoys tweaking
the noses of scientists by advocating weird and scientifically-improbable
claims. His highly-speculative columns are written for a specific
audience--bored research and development technicians--among whom he has
some popularity. I think Jueneman's readers get some sort of vicarious
pleasure from his contrarian, thumb-his-nose attitude toward mainstream
science and the scientific establishment. Legitimate scientists ignore
Jueneman--except when they write letters to his editor complaining about
him.

Steven Schafersman
schafesd@muohio.edu
http://www.muohio.edu/~schafesd/