Re: communication - "miracles"

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:01:06 -0500

F.M. Phelps IV wrote:

> I am a bit annoyed that every word which one attempts to use to mean an
> event, inexplicable even in priciple by science, is immediately attacked.
> We know that "miracle" will not do as there are "miracles of timing" and
> natural events like the birth of a child that some want to call
> "miraculous". When we try "Violation of the Laws of Nature" people write
> saying that "there is no scuh thing as natural law as God is really the one
> doing everything, not Nature." And "gaps" is not very good as it may mean
> we just don't know enough yet. Some want us to use 'irregularities" or
> "God's way of working which was different than the way He usually works"
> but that is too watered down. My plea: Can we all settle on ONE TERM that
> we can all use to mean the kind of event which I am trying to describe?
> The goal here is communication without having to explain what we mean all
> the time.

But isn't that just the problem - what _do_ you mean? The Bible
uses various terms - signs, wonders, mighty acts &c - for events which
we loosely call miraculous, but it does not say which are "natural"
though surprising & which (if any) are completely beyond the
capabilities of nature.
In fact, that latter phrase seems to be what you're looking for
- "phenomena completely beyond the ability of nature to produce". (It
is better than your later proposal, "events which contradict
naturalism", which defines the miraculous as an exception to a certain
philosophical position.) BUT - in a Christian view _all_ phenomena are
beyond the ability of nature _in itself_ - i.e., without God, for
without God nature itself would not exist. God acts both in phenomena
which can be explained in terms of natural processes alone (_etsi deus
non daretur_) _and_ in those that can't.
Beyond the question of terminology, the deeper issue is why it
is so important to some people that there be events which can't be
explained in terms of natural processes. I freely concede that there
may be, & in fact suspect (as I've noted here before) that Goedel's
theorem seems to indicate that there must be at least one such event.
But I can see no dogmatic reason to insist that any given phenomenon,
miraculous as it may be (& yes, I include the Resurrection) is
completely beyond the capability of natural processes sustained by &
cooperated with by God.

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@imperium.net
http://www.imperium.net/~gmurphy