Re: Mongolian carbonate concretions

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 20:21:49 -0600

Hi Art,
At 07:44 PM 1/27/98 -0800, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:
>At 06:20 PM 1/27/98 -0600, Glenn wrote:
>
>>The cobbles or pebbles may have nothing to do with widespread flooding.
>
> What does "pebbly sandstone sheets, basal scours, conglomeratic coarse
>sediments" sound like to you? To me they sound like sheet wash at least
>and possibly debris flows as the authors of the more recent evaluation in
>Geology suggest.

Obviously pebbly sheet sandstones of zone 2 are due to water deposition. In
this I would agree with you. I would not agree that the zone three, the
eolean dunes could be deposited by water.

However, just because there is runoff from the mountains through the
alluvial fans does not mean that this was a global flood. Such deposits are
being laid down today in Utah which is generally quite dry!

>On another topic, I would like to get your read ont he Nubian Sandstone
>that ranges in age from lower Paleozoic to Eocene, and is widespread in the
>Middle East. I just ran across across a thesis by Farooq Abdulsattar M.
>Sharief, Depositional enviroment and regional significance of the Sakara
>Sandstone, Northwest Saudi Arabia (M. S. Thesis, Rice University, 1974).
>He describes the supposed Middle Cretaceous deposit as having a lower
>contact that is "conformable and gradational with the underlying sediments
>of the Lower Devonian." This interests me, both because it is not unlike
>the situation with the Nubian, but also because it is in the same part of
>the world. I would really like to give the Nubian some careful study.

I spent some time studying the Nubian a few years ago. There is one problem
with it. It seems to cover a huge stratigraphic interval. Another term for
the Nubian ss is the Continental Intercalaire. Furon writes:

"A complete series is now known from the Carboniferous and including Trias,
Jurassic and Lower Cretaceous, comprising a remarkable development of
Continental intercalaire."~Raymond Furon, Geology of Africa, translated by A.
Hallam and L. A. Stevens, (London: Oliver S. Boyd, 163), p. 99.

So the finding of a gradational bottom between the devonian and the
Carboniferous is not to be unexpected.

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood