Re: Francis Collins

Allan Harvey (aharvey@boulder.nist.gov)
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 17:34:24 -0700

At 08:49 PM 1/26/98 -0600, Keith Miller wrote:
>This is just a note to inform those who haven't seen the most recent issue
>of Scientific American. The February issue contains a short profile
>article on Francis Collins, the head of the Human Genome project, entitled
>"Where science and religion meet." This article is especially significant
>in light of recent controversies concerning Forrest Mims. Francis Collins
>will also be one of the plenary speakers for the upcoming ASA/CiS meeting
>in Cambidge this year.

The sub-headline on this article was disturbing. I don't have it in
front of me, but the gist was that he was "keeping his religion from
interfering with his work" or something to that effect. Such phrasing
implies a compartmentalization of life that most of us would find
unacceptable.

Fortunately, the article itself did not imply that for the most part. It
portrayed a Christian living an integrated life, and whose faith
"interfered" with his work by making him conscientious and sensitive to
ethical issues. So, as long as people actually read the article rather
than skimming the headline, it will make a good witness.

| Dr. Allan H. Harvey | aharvey@boulder.nist.gov |
| Physical and Chemical Properties Division | "Don't blame the |
| National Institute of Standards & Technology | government for what I |
| 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303 | say, or vice versa." |