Re: Why ICR "wins"

Jan de Koning (dekoning@idirect.com)
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 11:23:08 -0500

At 09:47 AM 26/01/98 -0500, Moorad Alexanian asked in reply to my posting:
>At 04:03 PM 1/23/98 -0500, Jan de Koning wrote:
>
>Dear Jan,
>
>I just have a simple question, Do those who believe in evolution as a
>scientific theory also believe that Christ turned water into wine? If so,
>what is the scientific basis for that fact.
>
>Take care,
>
>Moorad

Dear Moorad,

The simple answer is: yes. The more complicated one would require a lot of
words. Just this, the basic difficulty starts when we divide life in two
parts: Science and all the other stuff; or our secular life and our
churchlife; or, and you could go on. I believe basically, that God is in
charge and He gave us His Word (in the person of Jesus, His Son; in
writing: in Scripture, and in Creation.) God is not trying to fool us, so,
if something does not appear to jibe, we have to do a lot of studying.
That studying involves Theology, and that means that we cannot go the easy
way by saying what we read is above what we see.

The other question, What is the scientific basis? is a question, I believe,
that is out of place, because of what I already wrote above. Again, a
question like that places Science on too high a pedestal. One of the big
quarrels I have with N.American scholarship is that Science appears to be a
god, which has to have a separate existence. Then, after the "World" does
that, many christians buy into it and look up to Science. But if you see
scholarship in general ( that includes Theology, Psychology, Chemistry,
Mathematics, Ethics etc.) as human endeavours, you become more carefull in
saying, (in effect) that my way of doing (studying) things is the only way.
Basically we need to learn to listen carefully. Then I say of the YEC in
general, they want to serve the Lord totally. I have the fullest respct
for that. However, they often talk about things they have not studied. I
leave it at that at the moment.

Jan de Koning
Willowdale, Ont.