Re: Request for Advice/Death of ICR?

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:04:00 -0500

Moorad Alexanian wrote:

> Dear George,
>
> I see you have put much intellectual efforts in the science-theology
> dialogue. I have often mentioned that one must know what science is and what
> it is not and also what placing one's faith in Christ means. It is where
> the two meet where the speculations and arguments arise. If I were to teach
> people in my church about such issues I would merely teach the two ends and
> indicate that where they meet is fraught with arguments and discussions. We
> must make it very clear that scientists can assume, as a working hypothesis,
> that a particular question is a scientific question. But the actual answer
> may not be that given by the method of science. For instance, the question
> of origins. I believe that would be the best approach where learning ensues
> and polemics is kept to a minimum.

I agree that most ideas at the science-theology interface should
be presented with some tentativeness. When I deal with such matters in
the congregation, or in the seminary course I teach in this area, I try
to give some idea of theological options as well as present my own
approach.

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@imperium.net
http://www.imperium.net/~gmurphy