Re: [Fwd: God vs gods question]

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 16:31:42 -0500 (EST)

At 02:21 PM 1/22/98 -0600, George Andrews wrote:

>Moorad Alexanian wrote: Dear Christopher,
><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
>
><P>I believe that the logic of the human mind would lead to a unique supreme
><BR>being. Witness the attempts of physicists to seek a unifying theory
>making
><BR>all forces manifestations of a unique one. The latter is consistent
>with the
><BR>notion of a unique, supreme being. Note that Moslems and Jews cannot
><BR>understand the Trinity we Christian believe for that very same reason.
>
><P>Take care,
>
><P>Moorad</BLOCKQUOTE>
>This was Aquinas's contention in that he reserved faith only for those
>who could not follow the arguments for God's existence. Such an assumption
>placed upon human finite logic is fundamentally flawed from two points
>of view: philosophically,&nbsp; Godel has shown logic to be unworthy of
>such a quest&nbsp; in that antinomy lurks throughout its foundations;&nbsp;
>theologically,&nbsp; reason thereby obviates the need for faith which is
>very problematic biblically since "without faith it is impossible to please
>God" and "by faith do we understand that God created the world". If your
>assertion is true, then faith is superfluous.

>George Andrews Jr.
>Assistant Professor of Physics
>LeTourneau University
>andrewsg@letu.edu</PRE>

Dear George,

I am afraid you are not making the distinction I make between "logic" and
the "logic of the human mind." The former is formal/mathematical logic;
whereas the latter is something akin to human common sense or intuition. As
far as I am concerned no one can prove the existence of God--can Romeo
and/or Juliet prove the existence of Shakespeare? On the question of faith
vs. works, I come totally on the side of faith. Making works important is a
manner for humans--e.g., the priesthood, elders, etc.--to control other
humans. Therefore, using your brain is a form of works which would obviate
the inherent ability of man/women, through his/her spirit, to know God.

Take care,

Moorad