Re: Request for Advice/Death of ICR?

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 09:36:34 -0500

David B. Fenske wrote:
> Here's my question, my request for advice. Perhaps some of you have been
> in a similar situation. Is it worth trying to do anything? Is it worth
> trying to at least point out that there are other views, and perhaps
> mention what they are? I don't think it would be appropriate or polite to
> challenge the teacher on every point he makes in class. Perhaps discussing
> the matter privately with him at class end, or giving him some alternate
> material to read.. I dunno. Maybe I'll point him to Glenn's and others web
> sites.
>
> I'm rather certain that alternate views wouldn't be accepted, although I'm
> sure they would be discussed. But I don't think they would convince anyone.
>
> Have any of you been in a similar situation? I'm curious what response
> some of you old-earthers or TE's have received from others in your church.

I'm in a very different situation. I'm the pastor, I usually
teach the adult class, & when we have dealt with creation & evolution I
try to be fair & courteous about rejections of evolution & don't at all
tell parishoners that they have to accept evolution. But what I present
is a view of evolution in the context of the Christian doctrine of
creation. As far as I know, only one person has left the congregation
because of my views on this, & there were other issues involved there.
OTOH, I have had pleasant surprises - e.g., an older member telling me
she was glad finally to hear something sensible about this in church.
Let me make what may seem a radical suggestion: If scientists
find the type of thing you describe a problem in their congregation,
look for another congregation. Sit down & talk privately with the
pastor about the problem, & say that you aren't comfortable in a
congregation where bad theology & bad science are presented & where your
vocation as a scientist is demeaned.

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@imperium.net
http://www.imperium.net/~gmurphy