Re: We are losing. Big time.

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 09:31:28 -0500 (EST)

At 08:40 PM 1/20/98 -0600, Glenn Morton wrote:

[deleted]

>Why then do people like Gish, George Howe, Clifford Burdick, Eugene Chafin,
>etc. all scientists and all having been christians for many years, still
>maintain the YEC position? I would contend that it is because they place
>theology above what their eyes see. Why did I maintain a YEC belief for 15
>years after I knew the problems that existed in geology? Because I placed
>my interpretation of the Scripture on a plane of infallibility. If you had
>asked me that, I would have denied that I was doing that. But that is what
>I was doing.

Dear Glenn,

I am not a YEC nor ever was. I know what science is, by being a physicist,
and I know what it is to be a Christian. There is a wide area in between the
content of Scripture and the findings of science. How the two meet in the
middle is not clear to us and all the suggestions are very speculative. In
our finiteness, we can never understand the infinite. God could have indeed
spoken and brought the whole thing, just as we see it today, into being. No
experimental data can disprove that possibility. Can you disprove that? It
is all assumptions and people who make different assumptions will reach
different conclusions. You say that "they place theology above what their
eyes see" but you know very well that it is not what we see but how we
interpret what is seen. Therein lies all the arguments. People agree on the
data, but how to extrapolate from that to the past is where all the
differences arise. That is why I equate such studies, at best, to forensics
practiced by detectives in solving crimes and not to experimental science as
done in physics. Of course, detectives have no recourse to non physical
explanations; whereas, humans do conceive the supernatural through their
spirit.

Take care,

Moorad