Re: Fish Heads

Bill Payne (bpayne@voyageronline.net)
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 22:17:59 -0600

Tue, 20 Jan 1998 19:46:18 -0400 David Campbell wrote:

> The rays of the fins are thin bone. The Green River fish I've seen have
> the entire skeleton (i.e., including very delicate bones), sometimes with
> scales, but no obvious soft tissue preservation apart from vague stains.

The Nature Co. fish fossils I have consist of a buff color very
thin-bedded shale with a dark brown "stain" which preserves the complete
body shape of the fish. There is a dark line where the mouth was, a dark
spot which coincides with the annus, and fins top, bottom, and tail. I
cannot see internal organs, but the shape of the dark brown "stain" is
unmistakably a fish.

> I don't remeber full details, but there have been some studies done
> recently on experimental fossilization-soft tissue can be mineralized
> relatively easily.

I don't doubt that, but I still question how the full body of millions
of fish can be buried, given the tendency for dead fish to float.

Bill