Re: Theology might not matter

Chuck Noren (noren@inetnow.net)
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 12:27:06 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, John W. Burgeson wrote:

> Of course I agree -- but my point is otherwise. Would you not agree that
> bringing a person into Christianity via "bad theology" is preferable to
> not bringing him in at all?

It all depends. If bad theology means that a person does not realize
that they are a horrible sinner before a holy and righteous God,
and they felt they can work their way to God to become a Christian,
then that person is NOT a Christian. While we all have points of
bad theology, let it not be an excuse to water down the Gospel
to the point that it is not the Gospel at all. We need to take
heed the warning of Paul:

But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel
other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally
condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again:
If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what
you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!
(Galatians 1:8-9 NIV)

-Chuck
----
Chuck Noren