Re: Terra

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swac.edu)
Tue, 06 Jan 1998 19:02:52 -0800

At 06:19 PM 1/6/98 -0600, Glenn wrote:
>The problem with this, is that this leaves at least 30,000 feet of Tertiary
>strata to be deposited AFTER the flood in the Gulf of Mexico. I know of oil
>wells in the Gulf that have drilled to 20,000 feet and have just gotten into
>the Miocene rocks (for those who don't know the oldest Tertiary is Paleocene
>then Eocene, then Oligocene then Miocene, then Pliocene, then Pleistocene
>then Recent). The well I am referring to drills through the Recent, the
>Pleistocene, the Pliocene and stops in the Miocene. Almost 4 miles of
>sediment which must be POST flood. This would take a lot of time.

This brings to light another interesting anomaly, not related to the
Baumgartner model, but to the whole question of non-uniformity in the
fossil record. As Glenn has just pointed out indirectly, 95% of the
sediments on the ocean floor
today are Mio-Pliocene. This leaves 5% for the Oligocene, Eocene,
Paleocene, Cretaceous and Jurassic. I will be interested in whatever
explanations any of you may have for this, because when I originally heard
the report at GSA, there was a deafening silence from the captivated
audience when the author asked for explanations, and he had none to offer
himself. Looks to me like massive continental runoff characterized the
Mio-Pliocene worldwide. That is something Baumgartner and others should
not ignore in their modeling.

| : :
|: : : :
|: : : :
|: : : :
Vol. |: : :
Oceanic|: :
Seds |: :
|: :
|: :
|: :
|: :
|: :
|: :
|: : :
|: : : :
Plio Mio Oligo Eocene Paleocene Cretaceous Jurassic

Art
http://chadwicka.swau.edu