Reduction

Garry DeWeese (DeWeese@Colorado.edu)
Sun, 04 Jan 1998 21:55:06 -0700

At 07:50 PM 1/4/1998 -0600, Eduardo G. Moros wrote:

>First of all I need to clarify three things - an that be all!
>
> [snip}
>3) we are yet to determine is life can be reduced to physics.

Eduardo, a couple of questions:

(i) What do you mean by "reduced"? Do you mean that if the physics can be
explained, that explanations for everything else will follow?

(ii) What would this "reduction" look like? Philosophy of mind (for
example) is full of "reductions" where mental properties and events are
"reduced" to mere neurophysiology of the brain. But such attempts mask
significant thorny issues, such as the nature of superveneience and
emergence, the extend of the reduction base; and the purpose (explanation,
elimination, etc. of the entity/property to be reduced).

I for one think such talk is not only dangerous, potentially robbing us of
everything that makes us human and potentially reducing the imago dei to an
equation. Surely you cannot mean this...!

Garry DeWeese