Re: Wells and Nelson's article

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Fri, 02 Jan 1998 21:56:02 -0600

At 05:23 PM 1/2/98, Paul A. Nelson wrote:
>Glenn:
>
>You wrote:
>
>>The thing that so saddens me is that my fellow Christians seem content to
>>merely throw rocks at the other side but never present any concepts that can
>>be falsified. In other words we don't take the risk to suggest a
>>hypothesis, which explains the data which might be proven wrong. (i.e.,
>>tell us what shape the earth is)
>
>John and I have lots of ideas. But step (1), I hope you would agree,
>is to recognize that current hypotheses are in trouble. That's not
>"merely throw[ing] rocks." That's ordinary hypothesis testing.

>Three guys are hiking in a forest. One of them says to the others,
>"Hey, we're lost!"
>
>But the other two don't want to hear that news. "Baloney," they say.
>"We're not interested in hearing that we're lost, unless you know the
>exact route out of here.

I would agree with this IF the article were published in a journal which
those "lost in the forest" evolutionary biologists would read. As it is, it
is published in a journal where those who supposedly know the way out of the
forest will be the primary readership but most of them are not scietifically
trained biologists. I do not know if you submitted this to a biological
journal or not but the above reasoning should have led y'all to at least try
one and then published in Origins and Design if you were rejected.

I would say that in general, it is the last statement above is that we
should be doing, showing a better way out of the forest. Very few paradigms
are changed by merely saying there are problems. I will agree that even
showing a superior solution does not always change minds but at least one
can work on the next generation when you have a better solution.

>Can you see that identifying problems with a current theory bears
>no necessary logical relation to having a better candidate?
>
>In any case, John and I are working on the problem of homology from
>a design standpoint. In 1998, we plan to submit a couple of papers on the
>topic, and complete a book MS (part of which deals with homology).

I am delighted to hear this and will look forward to seeing it.

But
>the only thing worse than not offering a hypothesis for an interesting
>open problem is offering a half-baked, incomplete one. On the Internet.

>That's it for me. Check out the bibliography we posted.

As usual, I have ordered the articles. And I thank you for the bibliography.

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood