Re: new intenet site

Gordon Simons (simons@stat.unc.edu)
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 21:46:03 -0500 (EST)

Justin, the Chairperson of CSIS (Christian Students in Science) wrote:
> Just to let you know that our new URL is: http://www.csis.org.uk
> and we have totally overhauled and updated the site. We intend to
> continue to add to it and develope it as a resource. Also the new CiS
> URL will soon be www.cis.org.uk although it is not up and working as
> yet.

Impressive!! When did you last hear of an American Christian addressing
the following challenge to the Christian faith? Never for me. (Perhaps I
missed it.)

Embryology in the Qur'an

According to Prof. Keith Moore, an anatomist at Toronto, Canada who
wrote an embryology textbook widely used in medical schools around the
world, when he first read what the Qur'an had to say about the
development of the human embryo he was "astonished by the accuracy of
the statements that were recorded in the 7th century AD, before the
science of embryology was established".1 Much has subsequently been
written in an attempt to demonstrate that the Qur'an, God's ultimate
revelation contains statements about how humans develop which could not
possibly have been known at the time that it was revealed to Muhammed.
If this is indeed true, then it implies that the Qur'an must have had a
divine author. It is the intention of this paper to examine what exactly
was known of the human embryo at the time of Muhammed in order to see
whether any of the beliefs expressed in the Qur'an were true or indeed
well known before this time.