What may providence include?

Paul Arveson (arveson@oasys.dt.navy.mil)
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 19:49:42 -0400

Allan Harvey wrote (on 8 Dec 1997):

>Throughout, the underlying issue that separates Johnson from many of the
>rest of us is his equation of evolutionary science with naturalist
>metaphysics. He points out clearly and correctly that the two often go
>hand in hand, but then, rather than reject that unfounded (and
>atheism-friendly) linkage, he accepts it and proceeds from there.

Allan, you hit the nail on the head. This is what frustrates some of us
about Johnson. While Johnson and others are constantly organizing debates
between creationists and atheists, he seems to have a blind spot regarding
the real issue: how God's providence may and may not work in the world.
It's an internal theological issue among Christians, not primarily an
apologetic issue. As far as I know, people have gotten nowhere on even
getting Johnson to address this issue. It is as if there is a blind spot
there. Is anybody really learning anything from all these debates with
atheists?

Paul Arveson, Code 724, Research Physicist, Signatures Directorate
Naval Surface Warfare Center, Carderock Division
9500 MacArthur Blvd., West Bethesda, MD 20817-5700
arveson@oasys.dt.navy.mil bridges@his.com
(301) 227-3831 (301) 227-4511 (FAX)