Re: classic arguments

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Mon, 08 Dec 1997 16:26:16 -0500

Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:

> At 01:31 PM 12/8/97 -0700, Allan wrote:
> >I think it is reasonable to extrapolate that to the Spirit of God
> >incarnated in Christ not choosing to spend his time giving us a
> >scientific account of human origins. He had things of more eternal
> >significance to tell us.
>
> What doctrine can be more important than our origin? If Christ is not our
> Creator, He cannot be our Redeemer, and as Rev 4:11 emphatically states
> worship is due Him precisely because He is our Creator.

It is essential to believe that the Redeemer is the Creator.
That is precisely Athanasius' argument in _On the Incarnation_. But it
does _not_ follow from this that teaching us _about_ creation is an
important part of the work of Christ.
This is not to say that I consider the doctrine of creation
unimportant! But the connection needs to be made more carefully.