Re: classic arguments

Allan Harvey (aharvey@boulder.nist.gov)
Mon, 08 Dec 1997 13:31:18 -0700

At 02:42 PM 12/8/97 -0500, Moorad wrote:

>Why
>didn't He [Christ] tell us about our supposed origin via evolution?

I think the words of Augustine are appropriate here:
"The Spirit of God who spoke through [the biblical writers] did not
choose to teach about the heavens to men, as it was of no use for
salvation,"

I think it is reasonable to extrapolate that to the Spirit of God
incarnated in Christ not choosing to spend his time giving us a
scientific account of human origins. He had things of more eternal
significance to tell us.

| Dr. Allan H. Harvey | aharvey@boulder.nist.gov |
| Physical and Chemical Properties Division | "Don't blame the |
| National Institute of Standards & Technology | government for what I |
| 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303 | say, or vice versa." |