Re: textbooks (fwd).....And their relationship to civil religion

Bill Payne (bpayne@voyageronline.net)
Sat, 06 Dec 1997 23:09:57 -0600

Thu, 04 Dec 97 13:28:00 PST Chad Davies wrote:

> I am somewhat familiar with the "Wall Builders" literature
> and their lovely graph correlations.

For those who may be interested, the Wallbuilders site is:

http://christiananswers.net/wall/wbrlist.html

> In their discussion of causes
> they neglect to mention that two other very powerful dynamic social
> forces were taking places. First was the Civil Rights decisions and Act
> that allowed and even required minority participation in a number of things.
> I think that the drop in average SAT score has a lot more to do with having
> a greater number of poorly educated minorities take the test than a lack
> of prayer in the classroom.

The national average of SAT scores had been virtually level for at least
10 years (varied from 965 to 980) until 1963 when the Supreme Court
decisions were made, and in the next 11 years the scores plummeted to
908. In 1974, the declining curve shallowed out, and in 1980, the curve
reversed and began to climb. This was the time period during which the
private Christian school movement exploded. Barton attributed the
reversal to the 10% of the nation's students who were now being educated
under "divine law." He pointed out that these were not the most
affluent families who were taking this option.

> A second, perhaps more important factor, is that during
> this time, the US Interstate system was being built and many city planners
> and sociologists say that this caused great demographic change.
> Urban flight of businesses, jobs and people didn't leave much behind for
> those who had to stay.

That strikes me as a weak point.

Bill