Re: classic arguments

Allan Harvey (aharvey@boulder.nist.gov)
Fri, 05 Dec 1997 12:23:58 -0700

Chuck Noren wrote:

>I am also concerned when the OT, particularly Genesis, is
>regarded as an inferior document containing errors. To hold
>that kind of view implies, indirectly, that Christ's confidence
>in the OT was misplaced, which in turn puts into question
>the integrety of Christ. The question then is if Christ was
>wrong at this point, can we trust Him in matters of Salvation
>and Faith, and if so, why?

This touches on the source of many of our problems. I don't think
anybody posting here has said (or even believes) that Genesis is
"inferior" or riddled with "errors". But sometimes people get that
impression when we point out, for example, that scientific investigation
of God's creation suggests that some of the (potentially naive)
*interpretations* they have been taught are in error.

I don't know how to deal with that other than to continue to try and
communicate clearly that these discussions are not about denying any
fundamental Scriptural truth. Of course it would help a whole lot if
Evangelical churches did a better job of teaching people that having a
high view of Scripture does not equate to a rigid adherence to woodenly
literal interpretations.

| Dr. Allan H. Harvey | aharvey@boulder.nist.gov |
| Physical and Chemical Properties Division | "Don't blame the |
| National Institute of Standards & Technology | government for what I |
| 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303 | say, or vice versa." |