Re: sokal stuff from an editor of social text

Garry DeWeese (DeWeese@Colorado.edu)
Thu, 04 Dec 1997 08:13:13 -0700

At 09:43 PM 12/3/1997 -0800, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:
>This text is a response of the editor of Social Text who accepted Alan
>Sokal's bogus text on Superstring Theory for publication. Notice
>particularly the conclusion.... Antipathy towards creationism makes strange
>bedfellows....
>
>Science, Imperialism, and Love

[most of text snipped}

> I will conclude by saying that we may not agree on a common
>epistemology, but I think we have a better chance at a common
>politics. If and when we have to argue with people who want
>creationism given equal time in science class, we are going to be
>on the same side, and we should perhaps remember that when we
>talk to each other. Another important thing that scientists and
>humanists have to say to each other is that we share an urgent
>short-term interest in securing support for society's long-term
>interests, which include proper funding both for pure or long-
>term scientific research and for the proper teaching and study of
>the humanities.
>-----

Ah, yes, the old Arab proverb: The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Strange
bedfellows indeed, united only in opposition to God and pursuit of money.

Garry DeWeese