Re: Chicken Soup for the Soul (fwd)

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swac.edu)
Wed, 03 Dec 1997 12:52:00 -0800

At 12:09 PM 12/3/97 -0600, Joel wrote:
>Based on what you have said, it seems to me that you would like the
>Nicene Creed changed to read,
>
>"I believe in one God the Father Almighty, DESIGNER of heaven and
>earth."
>
>That is arguably a substantial change from historic faith. It seems to
>canonize the very particular 19th century ideas of design, a la
>William Paley into historic Christian faith.

1. I guess I don't understand your use of the Nicene creed as if it were a
sacred statement (not that i disagree with its import).

2. That was merely a substitution of one word for another that has
equivalent content (i.e. the Creator is perforce a Designer, whereas a
creator may or may not be and a designer may or may not be a creator).

3. It was not a subterfuge on my part to obviate the role of the Creator as
set forth in the Nicene Creed at all, and in fact I didn't even have the
Creed in mind when i was typing that word, so please feel free to
substitute Creator imn my statement in the original post since it doesnt
change my intent at all. Thanks for setting the record straight.
Art
http://chadwicka.swau.edu