Re: textbooks

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swac.edu)
Tue, 02 Dec 1997 16:55:02 -0800

At 06:29 PM 12/2/97 -0400, David wrote:
> Most of the biology and historical geology texts I checked
>[...] in their
>discussion of the history of the theory of evolution, have disparaging
>remarks about the Biblical account based on young-earth interpretations
>(not necessarily current or orthodox young-earth interpretations, e.g. the
>claim that the idea of extinction "was repugnant to the theologians'
>concept of a caring, all-providing deity".

My current favorite is from Villee et al General Biology textbook for college:

"If the kinds of animals and plants were not related by evolutionary
descent, their characteristics would be present in a confused, random
pattern, and no such hierarchy of forms could be established".

Thus Villee handily proves evolution to be a fact that no rational freshman
biology student could deny. That kind of logic is repugnant to any
scientific mind. What kind of a Designer would create in a confused,
random pattern? If God did so, we probably would not refer to Him as a
designer.
Art
http://chadwicka.swau.edu