Re: textbooks

Tom Pearson (pearson@panam1.panam.edu)
Tue, 02 Dec 1997 13:11:20 -0600 (CST)

At 12:24 AM 12/2/97 -0600, Bill Payne wrote:

>"It may be true, but it's not science."
>In this way, true events are shifted into a category of non-science, or
>fairy tales for the uninformed and uneducated. This defining away the
>competition of atheism is very subtle and having a disastrous impact on
>our culture.

Bill,
Is everything that counts as "non-science" to be identified with
"fairy tales for the uninformed and uneducated"? You must have an
extraordinarily broad definition of science, if whatever falls outside of
science is thus relegated to the ashheap of "fairy tales." Are there no
"non-scientific" truths? This strikes me as a false alternative.
If the Biblical account of creation is true, it would be true even
if it had a disastrous impact on our culture. If some current version of
evolutionary theory is true, it would be true even if it, too, had some
disastrous impact on our culture. The secondary effects of a theory are not
the fundamental criteria on which the truth or falsity of the theory is
assessed. Otherwise, those who long ago voiced alarm at the social
consequences of the demise of the geocentric view of the universe may well
have been right; non-geocentrism was a bad idea (true, nonetheless). Are
you suggesting that we embrace our scientific theories on the basis of
theological rectitude and social utility? And would the answer to that
question be considered a "non-scientific" truth?

Tom Pearson

Thomas D. Pearson
Department of History & Philosophy
The University of Texas-Pan American