Re: Testing in historical science

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 15:43:11 -0500 (EST)

At 06:51 PM 11/19/97 -0600, Craig Rusbult wrote:

> Moorad says,
>>We are comparing two different things. Experimental science generalizes into
>>laws set of experiments already performed. Historical science cannot do such
>>a thing. ...<snip>...
>
> Yes, historical sciences are different in some ways. But in some ways
>they are similar to other sciences.
>
> Do your comments apply equally well to the historical science of
>astronomy? (and to theoretical astrophysics?)
>
>Craig

My comments do apply to astronomy/astrophysics. However, in astronomy we can
see the time devolvement of many different stars and so study the "typical"
life of a star. We cannot do that in cosmology where we study the universe.
Of course, there are theories where our universe is one of many. But again
that is very speculative.

Moorad