Re: BodyPlans

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 21:54:59 -0600

Hi Bob,

thanks for the reference,

At 04:03 PM 11/20/97, RDehaan237@aol.com wrote:

>You wrote,
>
>"And further I would disagree that bauplan in the sense that Gilbert used it
>only applies to phyla and classes."
>
>The definition of Bauplan was given by Valentine, not Gilbert.

[definitions snipped]

You missed the point, the way I read Gilbert he is using the term in a
slightly different fashion than all your definitions. Word meanings are
never carved in stone unless one is a lawyer.

>Body plans are clearly defined at "the highest level of distinction, by a
>phylum". I hope you won't proceed to redefine what a body plan is just
>because you disagree with the accepted definition.

I don't want to get into a quibble about the definition of bauplan so I will
bow out of this one.

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood