Re: Separation of science and religion

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 09:29:21 -0500 (EST)

At 05:18 PM 11/19/97 -0500, George Murphy wrote:
>Moorad Alexanian wrote:
>

>> What can science say about the world which is of interest to theology?
>Again, what can science tell us about the world that
>> would be of interest to theology?
>
> For starters:
> The universe is several billion years old, so some ways of
>interpreting the Genesis creation accounts are ruled out.
> Physical phenomena obey rational laws but there is some "play"
>in the connections between events. Thus we have a context within which
>to understand God's action in the world as kenotic, rational, and free.
>Among other things, this means that it is not scientifically absurd to
>pray for things.

What I get out of Genesis is that there is a God who created and that which
was created was good. Note that physicists often emphasize the beauty of
their mathematical formalism underlying their description nature, e.g.,
Einstein, Dirac. However, Scripture indicates goodness rather than beauty to
describe created nature. Perhaps the notion of goodness is more relevant
than what some Christians do of attempting to get science out of Genesis. I
believe that it is a waste of time to do the latter. I understand that in
many cases this is done to counteract purely scientific theories of origin.

Science has nothing to do with prayers, therefore, science can say nothing
about it. Of course, if you believe that science is everything, then it
would say that praying to a Supreme being is an act of foolishness and the
person should be committed--they did that in the former Soviet Union.

>> The most devote Christians I have met have not been intellectuals--formally
>> educated people. They are basic, simple people with a deep love for God and
>> do not need science to guiding them in their faith.
>
> Fine - you don't have to be an intellectual to be saved. But
>you also don't have to blow your brains out.
> George Murphy

You do not have to be an intellectual to be saved---we take aspirins every
day and do not know how it really works but what matters is that it works.
My point is that those who have a simple faith are wiser than most
university professors and so-called intellectuals. "Professing to be wise,
they became fools." Rom. 1:22.

Moorad

Moorad