Re: Limits of Kinds - now its crabs

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 20:09:48 -0600

At 07:26 PM 11/18/97 -0800, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:
>At 06:10 PM 11/18/97 -0600, Glenn wrote:
>>OK, then how much change can one get if he changes 2 or 3 or 4... of the
>>homeotic genes? What is the limit to change? and why must we only allow one
>>of the homeotic genes to change? I don't think you will hold to a position
>>that only one can change, but there have been some recently who have said
>>that there is a limit to change and I see none.
>
>Again, Hawaii provides the perfect laboratory for testing your theory.
>There are 600 species of Drosophila in the Hawaiian Islands that are
>endemic (give or take a hundred). There are no insects putatively derived
>from Drosophila that are not Drosophilines.

If I recall, the Hawaiian Islands are aroud 750 kyr old. Even mammals have
not speciated in that time. Wolves and dogs separated about 400kyr ago and
are able to interbreed (both are canids) and coyotes separated off about 1
million ago and they are still able to interbreed. But if you go much
further back than this, one finds an inability to procreate among other canids.

Is Hawaii really the best place to test the theory?

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood