Re: God and time

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 17:17:24 -0500 (EST)

At 09:56 PM 11/14/97 -0700, Garry DeWeese wrote:

[deleted]

>I do not understand how God could "see" the remainder of the trajectory
>unless it were real. But if the future does not exist, then even though
>God knows the remainder of the trajectory, he cannot see it as really
>there, as "actualized," or as "already completed." The issue here is not
>whether the future is what God knows and what we don't know, but whether
>the future actually exists *now* or not. Spacetime diagrams cannot settle
>this issue; it is a basic question of the ontology of time.

I really do not understand the statement "whether the future actually exists
*now* or not." We can only speak intelligently from the human frame of
reference. Of course, reveled truths also give us knowledge not accessible
by human intellectual efforts. Therefore, we have to put all these sorts of
knowledge together and make some human sense out of them. God created. He
gave us His Word. His Word speaks of coming events. Where do those events
"reside?" In our future, of course. Does that future exists "now"? I really
don't know. Will these events happen in our future? Yes. I believe the
future exists "now" from God's vantage point of view. But God cannot be
temporal. He cannot be in His own time. Otherwise He would be a creature
also in some created "time."

[deleted]

Moorad