Re: God and change?

Garry DeWeese (DeWeese@Colorado.edu)
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 17:55:51 -0700

Hi Gladwin,

I think we can see two (at least) interpertations of immutability in the
history of Christian doctrine, which are sometimes referred to as "strong"
and "weak" immutability. Strong immutability is usually connected to the
doctrine of divine simplicity which claims that God is each of his
attributes. So strong immutability claims that there can be *no* change in
any of God's properties (I use 'properties' and 'attributes'
interchangeably), intrinsic or relational.

Weak immutability, on the other hand, claims only that there is no change
in God's intrinsic attributes. An article mentioned earlier this week by
Inge Frette, "God Everlasting" by Nicholas Wolterstorff, argues (for
example) that it once was true that I was in a relation of enmity with God,
it is now true that having been regenerated by his grace, I am now in a
Father-child relation with him. So there is that change in God's
relational properties.

Garry