Re: Fall of evolved man

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 08:57:25 -0500 (EST)

At 11:52 AM 11/10/97 -0800, Adrian Teo wrote:
>Moorad Alexanian wrote:
>> I do not think any Christian should be afraid of where good science leads
>> us. Christ said He is the Truth and so every search in any subject matter
>> will invariably lead to Christ--"....in whom are hidden all the treasures of
>> wisdom and knowledge." Col. 2:2. There should be little disagreement on the
>> evidence, but there can be much disagreement on how the data should be
>> interpreted.
>
>In your earlier posts it appears that you consider experimental science
>(particularly physics) to be superior to historical and nonexperimental
>social sciences. May I suggest that this definition of "real" science is
>somewhat narrow?
>
>Experimental science involves an inductive approach, which can never
>lead to 100% certainty in knowledge. I would suggest that all of science
>and rational inquiry is filtered through our interpretive lenses, and
>all can lead us toward the Truth, albeit imperfectly, and can never be
>exhuastive. To claim that one is superior to another requires that you
>demonstrate how one can be more independent of interpretation and bias
>than the others.

Dear Adrian,

Please include my post on your comments of it so that the issues are clear.
The comments I made is that subjects like social science and political
science should drop the word science and replace them with words like
studies. It is clear that the borrowing of the word science is to enhance
such studies to a status which they do not have. My comments were meant more
to clarify the subject matter and the way truth is established in different
forms of knowledge. It was not meant to denigrate any human effort to know.
The heavy, meaningful reliance of physics on mathematics is something that
is lacking in political and social studies. It is true that all the sciences
want to emulate physics. Of course, it is a historical accident that physics
developed first as the study of Nature with mathematics as the language of
that science.

Take care,

Moorad