Re: Limits of Kinds

Bill Payne (bpayne@voyageronline.net)
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 22:19:18 -0600

Mon, 10 Nov 1997 07:36:10 -0600 Glenn Morton wrote:

> I mean evolution was going great guns, creating
> species after species of horse, canid etc and now during our life time I
> don't get to see this happen as quickly any more.
>
> Doesn't this seem inconsistent to you?

Speaking of inconsistent, I have a question. Supposing we grant you
evolution of everything from simple to complex. Then what would cause
some species to drop out of the race? For example, horseshoe crabs
still look like they did in the Cambrian (?). If the horseshoe crabs
evolved along with everything else up to their present form, why did
they suddenly put the brakes on and remain unchanged (stasis) for 600
million years while everybody else kept racing onward and upward? Are
the crabs immune to mutations? Are you being consistent, my friend?

Bill