Re: Fact Free Science?

Brian Neuschwander (bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net)
Fri, 07 Nov 1997 00:21:58 -0800

John Neal wrote:

> "But in fellowship with Him we can build a faithful and effective world
> view and world picture."
>
> Pardon my intrusion, but I would suggest to you that the true "world
> view/world picture" is not built by any man.

I disagree. In the context of the general meaning of either term (world
view or world picture) is OUR earthly, and, yes, less than perfect
understanding of God's revelation. It is not a reference to God's
understanding of things. The latter is what I think you were trying to
refer to. And God's understanding and revelation IS perfect on these
matters. I think it might be a little arrogant to suggest any of us
purely and completely understand all of what he understands and desires
to communicate. (That does not mean we do not understand at all, or a
lot, or enough to respond to His love and gospel).

> It is, rather, perceived
> from the Lord's revelation, i.e., it is a gift, not an undertaken project.

It might be clearer to say the Lord's revelation is a gift, but our
learning and understanding IS a project. This is an act of loving God
with all our mind. He didn't just zap us with "Divine perfect world
view" but rather took great effort through centuries of prophets,
apostles, scripture, Logos, and Church to help us "get it".

> Dwelling in the light as He is in the light is a state of
> being, not a state of becoming.

Dwelling in the light is certainly a state of being. But daily working
out our faith is clearly a state of becoming. The Apostles wrote
extensively on this subject. Salvation is more than just a legal status
before God based on the cross. It is also a dynamic and continuous
relationship with God through the Holy Spirit, with the purpose that we
be conformed to the image of Jesus Christ. Do you know anyone there
(conformed to Jesus' image) yet? I know I'm not. At least for me, it
is a project of becoming while under the light of His revelation.

-- Brian W. Neuschwander