Re: Fall of evolved man

gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.Colorado.EDU)
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 16:18:54 -0700 (MST)

Art,

My understanding is that if Moses really wanted to make sure that everyone
would understand the Flood to have been global, he should have used the
Hebrew word tebel (to indicate the entire planet), but he didn't.

Another thing to keep in mind when trying to decide how the original
readers would have interpreted the account is that their mental picture of
what constituted a global flood would have differed from that of the
global flood advocates of today because their cosmology was different. In
the second millenium B. C. people didn't know what the extent of the earth
was and, as far as we know, didn't realize that it was a globe.

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0395