Re: Geezer Patriarchs

Brian Neuschwander (bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net)
Wed, 05 Nov 1997 09:55:50 -0800

Bill Payne wrote:

> Brian Neuschwander wrote:
> >
> > Since no one responed to my question on Monday, I am asking again for
> > help on the accounts of superannuation found in Genesis 11.
>
> For what it's worth, I've heard YECs say there was a vapor canopy which
> shielded the earth from harmful radiation until it collapsed with the
> Flood. Concidentally, the ages of the patriarchs drops exponentially
> after the Flood. Plotted on a graph, the ages look something like
>
> X X X X
>
> F X
> O X
> D X

> X X X
>
> Kent Hovind, a YEC (http://www.drwebber.com/dino/), has a chart in his
> notebook listing the years each patriarch lived, beginning with Adam and
> going through Jacob's son Joseph. According to Kent's chart, Methuselah
> (969) and Lamech (777) both died in the Flood. Enoch doesn't count
> because he got raptured at 365 years. The other pre-Flood partriarchs
> lived from 895 to 930 years.
>
> Adam 930
> Seth 912
> Enos 905
> Cainan 910
> Mahalaleel 895
> Jared 962
> Enoch 365
> Methuselah 969
> Lamech 777
> Noah 950 THE BIG ONE
> Shem 600
> Arphaxad 438
> Salah 433
> Eber 464
> Peleg 239
> Reu 239
> Serug 230
> Nahor 148
> Terah 205
> Abraham 175
> Issac 180
> Jacob 147
> Joseph 110
>
> I've heard Hugh Ross say there is a nearby supernova which might have
> showered the earth with radiation and somehow related to the reduced
> life spans. Hugh was not pushing this as the explanation, just a
> possibility.
>
> Bill

It still seems odd that Moses (or Gen ed.) did not comment on the demise
of several patriarchs in the flood, or their concurrency for that
matter.

What I would really like to find out is if there is any reference to
multi-centenarians in any field of science or history, or is it strictly
a biblical account.

Any help here? Thanks in advance.

-- Brian W. Neuschwander