Re: >Re: Science and Theology

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 14:00:34 -0500 (EST)

At 10:00 AM 10/31/97 -0500, Keith Walker wrote:

>May it be that some things can be learned about God simply by observation
>of the world? If I may make use of the Watchmaker analogy, once I
>aknowledge that a maker exists I may infer simply by looking at the watch
>that the maker has a certain knowledge of mechanics, an interest in
>time-keeping, etc.. But there would be many other things which could not
>be inferred. To know them I would have to meet the Watchmaker and he would
>have to reveal them to me.
>
>What is debated is whether the existence of the Watchmaker can properly be
>inferred from simple observation of the watch.

It is interesting to contrast your argument with those of the people from
the SETI (search for extraterrestrial intelligence) program. It seems to me
that had they received any non random signal from outer space, they would
have invariably concluded that intelligent life existed elsewhere. Isn't the
whole of Nature which we experience a much stronger signal that that from
outer space? If so, why isn't that a clear indication of an Intelligence
Designer?

Moorad