Re: >Re: Science and Theology

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 17:13:23 -0500

Eduardo G. Moros wrote:

> > "The heavens declare the glory of God" to the psalmist because
> > he has believed God's revelation in "the law of the Lord". vv.1-6 are
> > incomplete without vv.7-14.
> >

> Exactly, so what's the problem? Methodological naturalists often assume the
> non-existance of a Designer because their are guided by their philosophical
> naturalism. I see no problem in doing or understanding science by treating
> nature "as designed" (methodological theism could be the term) because I'm
> guided by theism.

OK, no problem as long as we recognize that. What is
problematic is, as I put it earlier, the idea of an _independent_
natural theology - the idea that we can learn about God simply from
observation of the world & our reason independently of God's historical
revelation to Israel which culminates in Jesus. The argument from
design, as it is usually presented, falls into that category.
George Murphy