Re: Science and Theology

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 18:11:00 -0500

Eduardo G. Moros wrote:

> Francis Bacon (~1600) who either put together the scientific method or was its
> greatest popularizer, a christian man and scientist said that God had to books
> which should be paid attention to by Christians. The book of His Words (The
> Bible), and the book of His Works (Nature). From the very beginning of the
> history of science, science and theology wer hand by hand. So, I do also
> agree that scientists can be christians and vice versa.

The 2 books image wasn't original with Bacon. The medieval
Jewish writer Judah Halevi suggested that the world was a "text"
(_sefer_).
But much-loved as this idea has been (Galileo used it too), IMHO
it is problematic because it's likely to suggest that the world is a
revelation of God at least qualitatively similar to the revelation to
which Scripture witnesses. & that sets one off on the well worn path to
the bog of independent natural theology.
George Murphy