Re: Flood Coal (No. 2)

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 06:38:11 -0600

At 09:47 AM 10/26/97 -0700, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:
> Since they
>probably lived only one or two years (maybe one reproductive season), and
>they grew up to 150 feet tall, they would be comparable to asparagus in
>terms of resistance to decay.

But you miss the point with the global flood and rapid sedimentation. We
are told over and over that only rapid sedimentation can preserve the
fossils, (which isn't always true) so when we have something buried rapidly,
removed from the oxygen, it doesn't matter that it is like asparagus or not.
Decay would be severely inhibited after several hundred feet of strata were
piled on top of it after a few days in a one year flood. It couldn't easily
rot under such conditions. Bacterial activity is very, very slow (cell
division maybe once a decade or once a century at such depths. (see
Fredrickson and Onstott, "Microbes Deep Inside the Earth," Scientific
American, Oct. 1996, p. 68-73, p. 73)

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood