Appearance of Age (was: ACG members....)

RJD (Virkotto@intrnet.net)
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 14:14:09 -0500 (CDT)

Moorad Alexanian writes in response to Tom Pearson:
>In the turning of water into wine, Christ short-circuited what Nature,
>created by Him, normally does--I recall reading that in "Miracles" by C.S.
>Lewis. Christ collapsed time into an instant and eliminated all
>intermediaries normally needed in the process. Why can't He do that with the
>whole of Creation? If God indeed created Adam and Eve, He created them
>mature and, therefore, old. If He creates a tree it will have rings and thus
>have the signature of age. Am I missing something? Why can't God skip steps
>and eliminate intermediate processes? Christ did that in all His miracles.
>He did in the small what God the Father does in the large through the normal
>working of Nature--with the sole exception of His resurrection.

ASArs,

I have recently been involved in a protracted discussion on another group
discussing Creation Science and frequently I encounter the argument of
"appearance of age" to cover whatever difficultly another person is having
explaining the data I am presenting. This caused me to reflect on whether
there was any merrit to the overall argument behind "appearance of age."
My conclusion was that it was pausible to hold to all things being created
with appearance of age but there are several important consequences not
fully appreciated by those who use this argument in their defence. I find
few Creation Scientists are willing to deal with. I believe that if you
want to appeal to appearance of age you will be caught up in many
contradictions if you assess that concept further.

I have spliced together two long posts that I wrote examining the
consequences of holding to an "appearance of age" concept. Note that I am
writing as if I am trying to defend this woldview . Oddly enough the
something of a sarcastic tone to the text and I clearly don't hold to the
concept myself!

My thesis essentially is that if God created with the appearance of age
then flood geology is not tenable. In addition, not only is is not tenable
but may actually be working to counteract what God's real intent in
creating the geological record was and thus is (ignorantly) working against
God.

Begin coppied material: (GM: warning you might recognize some of the
material:-), your book is a great source!

Might I suggest a completely different response than mine (OEC)
or yours (YEC) to some
of the data I have presented. Why not just say that God created all rocks
and fossils as they are (except the very top portion) and that he has
revealed in those rocks evidences of tremendous age and even possibly
evolution. Wait! don't abandon me yet before hearing me out.

The idea here is that He had a PURPOSE in doing so. The purpose is that we
can use the knowledge found in this record given to us to help us predict
events in the future. We use technology to understand the weather and thus
predict storms etc.. why couldn't God have given us a 100,000 year record of
climate in ice and deep sea sediment cores for the purpose of showing us
past climate patterns as a way of helping us predict future climatic
patterns? In the same way he has given us records of ash fall from
particular volcanoes, including ways of determining what volcanoes the ash
came from etc.., that are in sediment columns that can be dated so that we
know how often a volcano has erupted and thus know approximately when it
will go off again. Many volcanoes probably are on 500-several thousand year
cycles which if you only have two data points in recorded human history
don't allow for any predicitive value but if you have 20,000 years of
records then there is some predictive value to the data. If you suspect
that 100 layers of ash that are even found over distinct intervals were
actually the result of rapid multiple explosions with unusually high
sedimentation or some sort of miraculous sedimentation then the record of
ash falls is basically worthless data in terms of a predictive source of
information. By assuming that God created a long history for us it opens
all sort of real avenues for better understanding the world that haven't
been possible under the type of science (and scientific assumptions) done by
creation scientists.

The result of this would be that instead of having to say that everything
that all these scientist have done has been some kind of grand conspiracy or
that all of this is the result of inappropriate assumptions, one would find
that in fact most of the data is accurate and the conclusions are consistent
with that data. The problem is with the scientists not giving proper credit
as to the source of the data. Rather than saying that the world must be
old, one could say that the young earth interpretation of the Bible is the
correct one of the Creation of the Universe, but that God has created as
part of that creation information to understand and take dominion over the
future of the world. This need not necessarily be seen as dishonest, if God
gave us this information for a purpose. Scientists are simply not
acknowledging the true God and are misapplying the data as a way of
interpreting a physical history.

Surely this can't be all that objectionable since everyone believes in
creation with the appearance of age to some degree. Adam appeared to have
some age no doubt. He already had the ability to communicate so God gave
man speech for a purpose. It may have appeared that he had to have learned
it based on what we know about language development but it is something that
was useful in the future but had no past.