Luke and Peter (was E and C)

Brian Neuschwander (bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net)
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:44:12 -0700

Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:

> Yes, but remember this same Jesus referred to the flood as a literal event,
> whose literalness he placed in direct parallel to the literalness of His
> return (cf. Luke 17:26 vs Luke 17:30), and Peter likewise placed the
> literalness in direct parallel with Gods power to save (cf. 2Peter 2:4-8 vs
> 2Peter 2:9). Maybe they did not have our present enlightened understanding

Perhaps the reason A. Chadwick sees recent total global deluge in these
scriptures is more a prior theological imperative, than good exegetical
effort. Sure, these (Lu17 & 2Pe2) are references to the flood, but as
a historical (and prophetic) reference to man's sin and God's judgement,
not a lesson on geology. Where exactly do we find reference to the
comprehensive geological details of the flood A. Chadwick seems to find
there. Perhaps he (and others) can help.

-- Brian W. Neuschwander