Re: Evolution and Christianity

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 12:28:25 -0500 (EST)

At 11:01 AM 10/23/97 -0400, Steven Schimmrich wrote:

> I'm just saying that anyone claiming geologists haven't wrestled with the
>idea of a global flood is ignorant of the history of geology. Agassiz
>wasn't an atheist, he actually was one of the last prominent scientists
>to reject Darwin's ideas because they conflicted with his religious beliefs
>(S.J. Gould wrote an interesting essay about Agassiz and his opposition to
>Darwinism).

Is it so that the assumption of a global flood has indeed been shown to be
truly wrong? What is the fact that constitutes its death blow? I can
imagine that if you had some nice data indicating that a flood may have
occurred you would have a hard time publishing your findings in a first-rate
geology journal. Am I wrong?

> I am confident that when I die and stand before the judgement seat of
>the Father, He is NOT going to ask me "Son, did you or did you not believe
>in a geologically-recent global flood?" I too take the Bible seriously
>and know the important issue is my acceptance of the Salvation offered by
>the sacrifice on the cross made by Jesus Christ.

I suppose you believe the accounts of the NT but not necessarily those of
the OT?

Moorad