Re: Evolution and Christianity

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 13:39:54 -0500 (EST)

At 09:56 AM 10/22/97 -0700, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:
>At 12:25 PM 10/21/97 -0500, Moorad wrote:
>>If speciation did indeed take place and gave rise to the complexities we now
>>have, then we will find that fact consistent with Scripture. However, I do
>>not believe that the converse is true, that is, that Scripture can be used
>>to make such specific scientific predictions. For instance, from Genesis we
>>may conclude that the universe is not eternal and thus had a beginning.
>>However, that is a far cry from specific scientific theories which may
>>indicate how the universe subsequently developed. Perhaps I can be
>>enlightened since I am a newcomer to the block.
>
>How about for Genesis 6 and 7 that there was a global catastrophic flood
>that wiped out much of the world a few thousand years ago? Does the Bible
>state this in unambiguous terms? (Did Jesus reference its literalness?
>Did Peter predict its denial in the last days?
>Art
>http://chadwicka.swau.edu

I believe there is no doubt that Scripture does mention a real, actual
flood. Thus, in geology, paleontology, etc. the existing data ought to also
be analyzed on the assumption that a (global) flood did indeed take place.
Such an assumption should be treated just like any other hypotheses usually
made in those fields. That is good science.

Moorad