Re: Importance of the Flood

Bill Payne (bpayne@voyageronline.net)
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 22:24:48 -0600

Hey ya'll

I'm a geologist with Law Engineering in B'ham. I've been lurking your
site for a few weeks. I'm very interested in evidence for the Flood as
Glenn is. My particular interest is coal seams, which are by
conventional geology said to usually be swamp deposits. However, no coal
seam I have ever seen in AL exhibits any of the features expected in
swamp deposits. They appear to have been formed of transported organics
deposited by water.

Glenn Morton wrote:

>A recent
> Archaeology article says that there is no indisputable physical proof of the
> Israelite's exodus and wanderings in the desert.(Silberman 1992,p. 22).
> (Where are pharaoh's chariots? if at the bottom of a sea they should still be
> preserved since water preserves wood quite well.

Somewhere I have a picture published by Ron Wyatt of Wyatt
Archaeological Research, 713 Lambert Drive, Nashville, TN 37220. The
photo, taken by Ron, shows human skeletons and the gold leaf overlay of
chariot wheels on the bottom of the Red Sea. The wood was so rotten that
when touched it would desintegrate. The exodus really did occur, just as
described in Exodus. And the parted sea really did close in and drown
the Egyptian army.

> Young's statement above is evidence that at least one old-earth creationist
> understands the importance of the Flood account, but then he used to believe
> in a global flood like I did.

I still do.

> I am saddened that the only response we have been able to muster over the
> past 150 years to the challenge of geological knowledge is to either say that
> all of science must be wrong, or the scriptural account doesn't imply that it
> actually occurred as described.

Keep the faith, it ain't over yet. Many YEC scientists are working to
develop a working model congruent with scripture. My opinion is that in
these "last days" a model supported by empirical data will emerge. The
YEC position will then be at least plausible, if not compelling, to an
unbiased inquirer.

Bill Payne