Re: Evolution and Christianity

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 12:25:12 -0500 (EST)

At 09:20 AM 10/21/97 -0700, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:
>At 12:20 PM 10/20/97 -0400, Gordon wrote:
>>YES!! I insist that evolution are compatible.
>>Why? Because speciation , the basic principle of Darwin's biological
>>evolution can be understood in Scripture. My average time to convince an
>>undersgradate is three minutes.
>
>If you mean speciation, say so. We have no disagreement. If you are going
>to go beyond the empirical data and suggest this process is going to lead
>to new kinds of things, you are talking philosophy (or religion) and this
>is where the issue I was addressing comes in. Three minutes...that's good.
>Art
>http://chadwicka.swau.edu

If speciation did indeed take place and gave rise to the complexities we now
have, then we will find that fact consistent with Scripture. However, I do
not believe that the converse is true, that is, that Scripture can be used
to make such specific scientific predictions. For instance, from Genesis we
may conclude that the universe is not eternal and thus had a beginning.
However, that is a far cry from specific scientific theories which may
indicate how the universe subsequently developed. Perhaps I can be
enlightened since I am a newcomer to the block.

Moorad