Re: Interesting survey

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 20:01:18 -0500

At 09:07 AM 10/20/97 -0400, Ted Davis wrote:

>My responses bear somewhat on Glenn Morton's point about Christians losing
>their faith when they discover that the emperor of scientific creationism
>ain't got no clothes. IMHO, this is one of the two or three most important
>issues in religion and science: namely, the very poor education that most
>Christians get about science from the drivel available to them at most
>Christian book stores. It is a sad fact that books by Bube and the late
>Bernie Ramm are out of print, while junk coming out of San Diego gets
>reprinted again and again...

Ted,

I wouldn't excuse any view that has factual error, be it young or old earth.
Even some of the cherished old earth beliefs have no clothing. Old earth
teachings I have problems with are

Mesopotamian flood, esp. if ark lands to the north. Water must flow uphill
and there are no widespread Holocene sediments throughout the region.

The idea that evidence for spirituality is less than 60 or 100 kyr years
old. As I have documented here over the past couple of years, there is much
evidence of quite human and spiritual activity going back as far as 700 kyr ago.

The idea that there are no transitional forms in the fossil record (both
sides have cited this one). Yet there are some very good lineages which
gradually change from one form to another e.g. the fish=amphibian transition.

And recently I cited Phil Johnson's implication that rodents gave rise to
the whales.

Any factual error diminishes our credibility. While we all make mistakes,
we should be very quick to retreat on factually erroneous statments.
Opinions can be held ferociously.

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood