RE: Few Christian Nobelists- why??

Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 13:59:51 -0400

Allow me to inject a counter point in this discussion: I fail to see the
significance of linking Christian scientists to the Nobel prize.
Although there is no question that Nobel prize winners have done good
science and deserve to be recognized, I would imagine that there is a
lot of politics involved as well. It would be interesting to know
exactly what the criteria are for electing a Nobel prize winner. This
alone raises all sorts of questions:

Does anybody know what the criteria are? Is there a point system? More
often than not, scientific breakthroughs and advances are achieved by
teams of scientists but how does one decide who in a team of scientists
gets the Nobel prize? Is there a quota for minorities and, if so, what
determines a minority? Should the scientists who cloned Dolly receive a
Nobel prize? Is there such a thing as "politically incorrect" science
that makes one ineligible for a Nobel prize? Certainly in non-science
areas there is the appearance at least that one has to be politically
correct to receive a Nobel prize.

It would be interesting to be a "fly on the wall" in the chambers where
these things are being discussed.

The above statements should not construed as "sour grapes" because I
didn't get a Nobel prize. I don't deserve one.

T.T. (Chuck) Vandergraaf
Geochemistry Research Branch
Whiteshell Laboratories
Pinawa, MB R0E 1L0