Re: Importance of the Flood

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 20:46:03 -0500

At 09:33 PM 10/19/97 -0400, George Murphy wrote:

> Let me clarify my view briefly. I'm not saying all
>non-historical parts of Scripture are poetry: The obviously non-literal
>character of Ps.23, e.g., simply illustrates the fact that literature
>can be true without being historical narrative or scientific
>description.
> But there are other possibilities. E.g., fiction such as The
>Good Samaritan. (Or, I would add Jonah. & if that suggestion bothers
>anyone, ask yourself if that is because of an _a priori_ assumption that
>Jonah can't be true unless it is historical narrative, which begs the
>whole question.) Or cases where we have 2 accounts, 1 of which seems
>pretty close to straight history & the other theological reflection on
>that history: Much of Samuel/Kings & Chronicles are in this relation.

Let's get to the issue that really bothers me: the flood. Do you view it as
poetry, history, exaggerated history, fiction or theological reflection?
Can one find evidence of the flood in the geologic strata? And why do you
feel it falls into the category that it does?

How about Joshua which seems to have similar problems with observational
data as does Genesis 6-9. Can one find objective evidence of the Exodus?
What category does it fall into? And what happens to Judaism and
Christianity if the Exodus wasn't real?

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood